What We're Reading

Book Reviews by the staff of the Mendocino County Library

Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Phryne Fisher mystery series by Kerry Greenwood


People kept recommending these and I kept thinking if her name is Fern, spelled it Fern.
Well it is not. She is named for Phryne, fry nee, after the Greek Courtesan.
Here is a link if you want to know more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phryne

Of course, she has a sister who only plays a very small part, named Eliza (consecrated to God)
What were her parents thinking.

Well I just jumped in and read the first one I came across. It would probably be fun to read them in order so here is another link: http://www.phrynefisher.com/books.html

Phyrne is a wonderful liberated woman of her time. An exact opposite of the Stepford Wives.
She is single by choice, in charge of her life, has fallen into the field of a private investigator but has enough money to live in style. She is always fashionably dressed, does most things well and has a great mind. She left England and moved to Australia to be as far away as possible from her family.

I just finished reading #16 Murder in the Dark an exotic tale about exotic people during a week long party at an old mansion with costumes, hunts, polo matches, a goat that loves mint, murder and kidnapping, drugs, drinks and more and more. I think you will love this series and this book.

I am already reading another in the series.

And just for the fun of it. Take a look at Simply Irresistible by Ellen White. The cover says "unleash your siren and mesmerize men" She speaks of different women, Angelina Jolie in the present, but mostly historical. I think it was the introduction that really got my attention.
The author says that "it was under two generations of maternal guidance that I tossed aside my schoolwork and boned up on my flirtation techniques. It was rough going". She was 10 years old at the time.

Eliza

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home