What We're Reading

Book Reviews by the staff of the Mendocino County Library

Friday, February 06, 2009

The Parrot Who Thought She Was a Dog


The Parrot Who Thought She Was a Dog by Nancy Ellis-Bell

Two things brought me to read this book. My father had had a macaw and as the book crossed my path, I noticed she lived in Mendocino County. I am always interested in Mendocino County authors. There may be a list somewhere, but I have not found it.

Someone must have thought this was a catchy title in our current slew of dog books. I never found the connection. Sarah the macaw obviously is a parrot. A large somewhat feral, one legged macaw with a wing span of 4 feet while the author, her husband, dogs and cats live in a fairly small trailer. My father's macaw was imposing and he stayed in a large cage in the dining room spewing feathers, seeds and other dropped matter. Having a cage free and fairly large bird in one's house seems imposing, but then people tell me 5 dogs and 3 cats seem imposing to them.

It is a fascinating story though and I will leave you to read it yourself. I enjoyed the tale and thoroughly expect that you will also. If you are so inspired, the last chapter lists information, rescue organizations, bird organizations and avian veterinarians to help you integrate a large or smaller bird into your house.

Eliza

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
Absolutely love your site. Would love for you to register and be a part our community.
Cagora
- Where Passions become Profitable

P.S. I back linked you

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home